Our first assignment first brought on a bit of panic where I saw my academic life slipping away. It's a sense of insecurity that's popped up throughout my career from time to time mostly when the pressure's on during big assignments, and you know a lot of eyes are on you and people are depending on how well you do. In the past, I've had a chill run down my spine while I have visions of forgetting to put film in my camera (when I used film), fear of returning to the newsroom with loads of complete garbage or just thinking everything will go wrong. It passes after you actually get down to business. I think that pressure along with the adrenaline rush of deadline was something that I actually sort of enjoyed in a way.I guess it's still debatable whether or not I shot garbage, and I'll find out in my tutorial. Nevertheless, I photographed five different work situations and dumped two including the one above. I had arranged to photograph a tailor at an open-air market, but the day I showed up, my guy did not. Luckily, I was able to get another person to let me photograph him. Unluckily, there was a drunk tailor who showed up and decided to harass me. He stuck his face in some frames and in the end wouldn't leave me alone unless I would buy him and gradually all of his market colleagues "refescos," drinks. It was getting impossible, so I ended up leaving prematurely.
One positive point is that I rediscovered the power that bringing back a print has. It's something that I used to do when I was working on stories and trying to build trust. I forgot how incredibly effective it used to be. I didn't re-shoot there, but I know that after brining that print, it would be no problem.

No comments:
Post a Comment