8.4.08

Projectmania







I've been jumping between projects. These are from my ongoing "Marginal" project that I am speeding up a bit in order to offer up to a South African magazine that contacted me for my availability and was open to ideas in Maputo where they want to have more coverage. The combination of our Easter project assignment and our last classes (which I went back over on archive), have inspired me a bit. One little yet big factor that really made an impact on me which Paul also pointed out to me as well was that a project can be ongoing. Sebastião Salgado comes to mind. The fact that parts of his projects are published while ongoing made a big impression on me.

I know it's a simple concept and I have little subjects such as my religion and cult of the Virgin Mary idea that I have gone back to for many years, but it solidified the idea in my mind in a different way. One pitfall in newspapers is that you are constantly bothered for deadlines if you are working on any sort of project. Editors love them and like to have something in their pocket to offer up. I guess that pressure has sort of been ingrained in me and I feel the I need to wrap it up. Also, the idea of space constraints-which is very real everywhere but even more so in newspapers.

Nevertheless, it's a concept that I'm latching onto. Deadline pressure is still good for putting one in a different gear that will often result in great work. I will keep going on this and if it ends up being published, I will still work on it.

My other project at the orphanage is frustrating because of the limitations that the new person that I am dealing with is putting on me. Shooting time is limited and arranging times and subjects is tough too.

No comments: