28.10.09

Exhibition Press

I've been working hard on my major project exhibition. I finally got all of my prints done. If anything, this has been an excellent experience. So often, I have been dealing electronically with photographs whether correcting and editing on my computer to sending to clients or agencies by FTP, posting on blogs or filing on to my hard drive. Stepping back a few weeks ago to my tutorial with John Easterby and his advice to print my photos to help with the edit, it was an exercise in simplicity. Physically seeing prints of my photographs made me recall what I used to do daily when I started in newspapers, that is, printing.

It's such an essential part of the photograph and one of our lecturers even made the point that a photography doesn't really exist until it's printed. I had a couple of very large prints made (A1) and it is really sort of breathtaking. If I had a few thousand dollars extra, I would have loved to have printed them all that size, talk about impact.

Now I am working on my text for the show and am busy translating the statement for the show into Portuguese with the help of friends. I have also started on publicizing the show which is less than a month away. Today, I got my first press. It's always a bit odd being the one written about when you're used to putting others in print.

Links:

All Africa

Casafree (French)

Living in Maputo

No comments: