skip to main | skip to sidebar

Michael Barrientos

LCC Photography Journal

29.11.09

Exhibition Video

Exhibition


Opening Night
Posted by Michael Barrientos at 4:56 PM
Labels: Exhibition Video, Major Project

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Subscribe To

Posts
Atom
Posts
Comments
Atom
Comments

LCC Class Links

  • Photos Without Borders
  • Brett Buchanan
  • Antrim Caskey
  • Mark Chilvers
  • Rhian Clugston
  • Dean C.K. Cox
  • Lizzie Harnoll
  • Kate Hooper
  • Anna Johannson
  • Silva Ferretti
  • Chris Leslie
  • Jonathan Lewis
  • Paul Lowe
  • Maria Moscou
  • Martin Nangle
  • Rafael Sanchez
  • Richard Schofield
  • OPEN-i.ning
  • MAPJ Ning
  • Blackboard
  • Wimba
  • Photoshelter
  • MAPJ Google Group
  • Diigo
  • LCC
  • LCC 2008 Final Show
  • LCC Webmail
  • LCC Blog

My Photo Manifesto

Beginning in 1993, I began working in newspapers - first as a writer at a small daily in Central California.  There I switched to photography and moved to the United States/Mexico border in McAllen, Texas, to San Antonio, then Florida where I worked as a photographer and editor for the New York Times Regional Newspaper Group, and ultimately The New York Times itself as a news picture editor.  My work history is diverse:  jobs that I held during college include a telephone operator and an attractions host at Disneyland.  I also played guitar in several punk bands in the late 80's in Los Angeles.  After leaving the Times in 2005 to raise my two children (Thomas born in 2005 and Charles born in 2007) and follow my wife with her career overseas, I began work as a freelance photojournalist.  

Throughout my career, I have worked on staffs and am much more of a newspaper man than an entrepreneurial, enterprising photographer.  I have always known the institutions that I've worked for, the audiences we served, and was well skilled at maneuvering the political and bureaucratic red tape of a newsroom to get the most out of myself and the photographers that I managed and produce great journalism.  

Although as an editor I have worked with top photographers around the world, I am somewhat of a fish out of water being on the other side of the fence as an independent photojournalist.  I am not the best at editing and managing myself.  I am still trying to find the best way to make the most out of my skills and use them to affect some kind of change as a journalist and international citizen.  In this pursuit, I am looking to you, my classmates and faculty for guidance and honesty that I will reciprocate in this journal and course.

Personal Profile

My photo
Maputo, Mozambique
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

  • ►  2010 (5)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (1)
  • ▼  2009 (47)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ▼  November (9)
      • Major Project Images and Captions
      • Exhibition Video
      • Exhibition Program
      • Exhibition Photographs
      • EXHIBIT OPEN
      • Last Minute Framing Blues
      • Countdown
      • Press and Promotion
      • My Cute Kids
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (4)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2008 (71)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (6)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (4)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (6)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (10)
 

©

Michael Barrientos