12.9.09

Back in Mozambique


Last week, I finally came back to Mozambique after being abruptly plucked out of the country and my life with my crazy heart situation. It was strange not being allowed to return home and in limbo for a while wondering whether or not I would get medical clearance to come back.

It's taken some time and stress to get back into the swing of daily life again particularly with my little boys going to different schools on different schedule which means I have also begun a life as a taxi driver. But more than anything, I have been consumed with getting my final project exhibition up and going. It's been somewhat stressful.

First, the initial venue that I had planned to show at, the Franco Mozambican Cultural Center, and went to back in February with my proposal gave me the Mozambican eye gouge. They had given me a letter accepting my proposal, but wanted me to do the exhibit in June, the national environmental month. I had to turn it down because they notified me three weeks before. It wasn't enough time to get my project together, printed, framed and do adequate promotion and all the other things that go into a show. They initially were a bit annoyed, but I met with the point person in charge of exhibits just before I was sent away, and she assured me that everything was fine and that I would get a space in late October or early November. She lied.

When I got back, I immediately contacted her but the board there had wanted me to show with another photographer or hold off until March, 2010. I turned it down. I spent the time since then trying to secure another space, the Mozambican Photographer Association gallery which I was succeeded in getting. I had to give them my proposal last week and last night I was given the dates of Saturday November 14 – Monday, November 30. It's a tremendous relief.

What I'm doing now is trying to get in gear for this show which involves a bit of money. I've put a chunk of personal cash aside to cover cost but hopefully can get funding. I'm working on sponsorship and have an incredibly organized friend, Melissa, assisting me. I hate going to people to ask for money. It's humbling. So far, I've been in talks with Anadarko, an American oil company with a big presence in Maputo, mcel, the national cellular company, and am aiming at getting one of the two big hotels on the Marginal. It's a new experience. I've applied for and gotten academic grants and fellowships before, but perhaps, this experience will help me sharpen that skill.

I have a list of things to do: edit; plan my presentation; have prints made; mount and matte; prepare all the written information; plan an opening along with food and drink; make promotional items and do the promotion; and hire an attendant and handyman for physically hanging the work. This morning, I'm meeting with artisans I'm hiring to make a 3-D map of the Maputo's coast.

Oddly enough, I've only gone out photographing once since I've been back.

No comments: