William Eggleston

One of the nicest things about being back in the States was culture: music, art, and bookstores. In Washington, DC, I went to the William Eggleston retrospective at the Corcoran Gallery which was wonderful. I really wasn't terribly familiar with him until our lectures on him and his work, but have come to appreciate and somewhat understand him.
I also spent time at the the newly opened National Portrait Gallery, part of the Smithsonian, where the had an excellent show on portraiture featuring six photographers who I didn't know: Katy Grannan, Jocelyn Lee, Ryan McGinley, Steve Pyke, Martin Schoeller and Alex Soth. See it here. Both exhibits gave me inspiration as a photographer and for my own show with their expert presentation.
For my birthday (I'm 41), my wife took me to see Chris Isaak outside of Washington, DC. Being that I spent much of my younger years playing the guitar in bands, seeing live music that I love was great for the spirit.

No comments:
Post a Comment